This gourd was inspired by the beautiful garden that my husband Thom plants every year at the “Marigold Plantation”. He plants the gourds, harvest and clean them for me to paint.
- Clean gourds with a damp cloth, and sand off imperfections.
- Draw with pencil sunflower.
- Paint Titanium White under sunflower pedals.
- Outline sunflower pedals and leaves with Alizarin Crimson.
- Paint background in the top of pedals with texture of a mixture of Alizarin Crimson and Ivory Black.
- Paint pedals with Cadmium Yellow Light over white for transparency. Paint Titanium White, over and blending with the yellow to create light. Paint Yellow Ochre over and blending with the yellow to start creating shading. Finished your shading with Burnt Umber.
- Paint leaves with an under paint of Alizarin Crimson, them Sap Green. Paint Cadmium Yellow Light over and blending with the green to create light. Paint Alizarin Crimson over and blending with green to creating shading.
- Sign your gourd.
There are many brands of acrylic paintings that I have tested but the one that I like the most is SOHO, Urban Artistic Acrylic: Excellent paintings, sold at more reasonable price by Jerry’s Arterama. 3060 Wake Forest Road, Raleigh, NC 27609. (919) 876-6610
- Titanium White
- Cadmium Yellow Light
- Yellow Ochre
- Alizarin Crimson
- Sap Green
- Burnt Umber
- Ivory Black
Brushes, multi-purpose, polyvalent. There is a 10pc “Artist’s Loft” that provides most of the brushes for the beginning or the Pro Stroke-Power Creative Mark from Jerry’s Arterama.
Plastic plate to mix colors or a Paper Palette. SOHO has a very reasonable paper palette at Jerry’s Arterama.