This painting was created for the painting classes. I wrote a poem about this old couple living in the middle of the city, surrounded by buildings. My office was in one of these buildings were I could see from my window the old couple. Spring of 1999. Raleigh NC.
- Start by drawing the house and landscape with a pencil.
- Paint the under-paint with a mixture of Titanium White and Cerulean Blue. More blue in the sky, white in the house and both in the landscape. The best media to do your under-paint is acrylics because they dry faster. The under paint is very important because you are defining your drawing with colors and defining light and shade in your final painting.
- Paint the sky and clouds first. House next and landscape last.
- Enjoy finishing your painting. You can use acrylics or oils.
- Sign your work of art.
This painting can be done in 2 medias, Oil Paintings or Acrylics.
There are many brands of acrylic paintings that I have tested but the one that I like the most is SOHO, Urban Artistic Acrylic: Excellent paintings, sold at more reasonable price by Jerry’s Arterama. 3060 Wake Forest Road, Raleigh, NC 27609. (919) 876-6610
You can buy them at Michael’s, ACMoore, but again the most affordable ones are at Jerry’s Arterama and their brand is LUKAS.
- Titanium White
- Ivory Black
- Cadmium Yellow Medium
- Cadmium Red Medium
- Alizarin Crimson
- Deep Magenta
- Sap Green
- Cerulean Blue
- Ultramarine Blue
- Brushes: multi-purpose, polyvalent. There is a 10pc “Artist’s Loft” that provides most of the brushes for the beginning or the Pro Stroke-Power Creative Mark of Jerry’s Arterama.
- For Oil paintings, the best media is Refined Linseed Oil with Refined Turpentine. To clean the brushes Turpernoi. Glass container to mix media.
- Easel (a simple table metal easel is fine).
- Paper towel.
- Plastic plate to mix colors or a Paper Palette. SOHO has a very reasonable paper palette at Jerry’s Arterama.
“Memories of a White House”
White was the house
green were the trees
memories of a long life left behind
the noise of activity, every day rush was gone…
The only thing left was the old couple
in the silence of age,
embraced on a clear spring morning
by the friendly music of their birds
and the bright colors of fresh flowers.
© Poem by Clina Polloni
Visit Clina Polloni Art Studio and Gallery
13 Garner Road, Franklinton NC 27527
Take a drive to the beautiful country of North Carolina. Only half an hour from downtown Raleigh.