“Weaving The Yarn At The Tar River NC”, Oil painting 24″x36″
“The motif of the human figure in a dialogue with natures light and colors.” In these paintings Clina Polloni is portraying the people of North Carolina in their environment and activities, representing the colonial times and history of our state.
- Start by drawing the lady and landscape defining the light and the shade. Look at image.
- Do your under-paint or imprimatura with a wash of acrylic gold and silver. Acrylics are very good for under-painting because they dry faster. They creates a worm color that once you put the oils in the top, they look brighter.
Click on the photos to see a larger image.
- Using oils, start painting the background, bricks and wall.
- Using oils paint the skin, blending light and shade to the color of the skin. Paint the features of the face, hands and foot.
- Paint hair and clothes.
- Paint yarn, basket, weaving loom and rug.
- Sign your work of art.
Acrylics: There are many brands of acrylic paintings that I have tested but the one that I like the most is: SOHO, Urban Artistic Acrylic: Excellent paintings, sold at more reasonable price by Jerry’s Arterama. 3060 Wake Forest Road, Raleigh, NC 27609. (919) 876-6610.
Oil Paintings: You can buy them at Hobby Lobby, Michael’s, ACMoore, but again the most affordable ones are at Jerry’s Arterama and their brand is LUKAS.
- Titanium White
- Flesh, Portrait Pink or Pale Pink
- Venetian Red
- Cadmium Yellow Light
- Yellow Ochre
- Raw Sienna
- Burnt Umber
- Van Dyck Brown
- Cadmium Red Light
- Alizarin Crimson
- Dioxazine Purple
- Cerulean Blue
- Ultramarine Blue
- Thalo Green
- Sap Green
- Payne’s Gray
- Ivory Black
Brushes, multi-purpose, polyvalent. There is a 10pc “Artist’s Loft” that provides most of the brushes for the beginning or the Pro Stroke-Power Creative Mark of Jerry’s Arterama.
For Oil paintings, the best media is Refined Linseed Oil with Refined Turpentine. To clean the brushes Turpernoi. Glass container to mix media.
Paper towel, Pencil to draw.
Plastic plate to mix colors or a Paper Palette. SOHO has a very reasonable paper palette at Jerry’s Arterama.
You can learn and enjoy to do this painting in the painting classes:
Call Clina: 919-841-3132
Visit Clina Polloni Art Studio and Gallery.
13 Garner Road, Franklinton NC 27527.
Take a drive to the beautiful country of North Carolina. Only half an hour from downtown Raleigh.
Serving Raleigh, Cary, Durham, Wake Forest, Franklinton and The Triangle Are of North Carolina.
Member of The Franklin County Art Council, Wilson Art Council and Wake Forest Guild of Artists, of North Carolina.