Cary, Clina Polloni, Durham, Franklinton, NC, North Carolina, Oil paintings, Painting Classes, Pet Portraits, Raleigh
When I was commissioned to paint Mr. Parker’s Pet Portrait, I was fascinated by the beauty of the gold tones of his tabby cat hair and the expression of his eyes. Painting his eyes and the many colors of his hair was a wonderful experience.
Instructions and Progression:
- Draw and paint the under-paint: It was done in acrylics because they dry faster and it gives you the opportunity to paint immediately. Use a washed of Yellow Ochre, but be sure to saturate the canvas. Also you can draw the eyes with black acrylic. Click on image to see a larger painting >>
- Paint the background: In his portrait I painted the background in dark colors because I wanted his beautiful gold hair to show well with contrast.
- Continue with Mr. Parker’s face: Put special detail in the eyes, hair and nose. It will give you a better understanding of his features. Click on image to see a larger painting >>
- Paint Mr. Parker’s body: Taking advantage of the texture and the many tones of his hair. The hair was painted with a #1 pro-white brush using it sideways, Click on image to see a larger painting >>
- Titanium White
- Flesh, Portrait Pink or Pale Pink
- Cadmium Yellow Light
- Cadmium Yellow Medium
- Yellow Ochre
- Raw Sienna
- Burnt Sienna
- Van Dyck Brown
- Alizarin Crimson
- Greenish Umber
- Thalo Green
- Ivory Black
Brushes, multi-purpose, polyvalent, from the finest 0 to 6.
For Oil paintings, the best media is Refined Linseed Oil with Refined Turpentine. To clean the brushes Turpernoi. Glass container to mix media.
Easel (a simple table metal easel is fine).
Plastic plate to mix colors or a Paper Palette.
For commissioned pet portraits visit:
For painting classes visit:
Call Clina: 919-841-3132
Visit Clina Polloni Art Studio and Gallery:
13 Garner Road, Franklinton NC 27527.
Take a drive to the beautiful country of North Carolina. Only half an hour from downtown Raleigh.
Serving Raleigh, Cary, Durham, Wake Forest, Franklinton and The Triangle Are of North Carolina.