A Valentine Red Rose
Painting Class Taught by Artist Clina Polloni.
Is February, The month for love! What a better time to learn to paint a Valentine Red Rose.
- Start by drawing the rose with a pencil.
- Paint the under-paint with Gold Acrylic. Paint a second coat of Gold Acrylic around the rose. The best media to do your under-paint is acrylics because they dry faster. The under paint is very important because you are defining your drawing with colors and defining light and shade in your final painting.
- Paint the gold background first. Rose next and leaves last.
- Enjoy finishing your painting. You can use acrylics or oils.
- Sign your work of art.
This painting can be done in 2 medias, Oil Paintings or Acrylics.
Acrylics: There are many brands of acrylic paintings that I have tested but the one that I like the most is SOHO, Urban Artistic Acrylic: Excellent paintings, sold at more reasonable price by Jerry’s Arterama. 3060 Wake Forest Road, Raleigh, NC 27609. (919) 876-6610
Oil Paintings: You can buy them at Michael’s, ACMoore, but again the most affordable ones are at Jerry’s Arterama and their brand is LUKAS.
Canvas: 8″ x 8″
- Titanium White
- Cadmium Yellow Light
- Cadmium Red Light
- Cadmium Red Medium or Carmine
- Alizarin Crimson
- Sap Green
- Greenish Umber (Grumbacher) or a Deep Green
There are many affordable brushes in the market:
Walmart: FolkArt, Gold Taklon, fine details and shading corners detail.
Michael’s: Artist’s Loft, white synthetic brushes.
Jerry’s Arterama: Pro Stroke-Power Creative, fine and medium brushes.
For Oil paintings, the best media is Refined Linseed Oil with Turpernoi. To clean the brushes Turpernoi. Glass container to mix media, I have some containers in the studio.
Easel (a simple table metal easel is fine).
Plate to mix colors or a Paper Palette. SOHO has a very reasonable paper palette at Jerry’s Arterama.
You can learn and enjoy to do this painting in the painting classes:
Call Clina: 919-841-3132
Visit Clina Polloni Art Studio and Gallery.
13 Garner Road, Franklinton NC 27525.
Take a drive to the beautiful country of North Carolina. Only half an hour from downtown Raleigh.
Serving Raleigh, Cary, Louisburg, Wake Forest, Franklinton and The Triangle Area of North Carolina.
Member of The Franklin County Art Council and Wake Forest Guild of Artists, of North Carolina.